bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am a company based in Australia, selling through Amazon in

Customer Question

I am a company based in Australia, selling through Amazon in the UK. I am registered and am behind in submitting. I also had to pay VAT and Customs Duty upfront when I had goods delivered there by DHL a few months back. In Australia we get GST back when paid like this and wondered if is the same ? Can you recommend a firm I can use to handle my VAT.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

VAT in the UK, in general terms, operates as follows. You sell goods and add VAT to the invoice sale. That is called output tax. You buy goods and the VAT charged thereon is called input tax and you reclaim it on your quarterly return, the VAT100, to HMRC. You then pay or receive the difference between the two figures.

Unfortunately Just Answer protocol precludes me from recommending individuals, but VAT returns are well within the abilities of any high street practitioner.

The tax is, in essence, very simple. If you keep your accounts on Sage the accounting package does your VAT return and the same is true other accounting packages precluding the necessity of employing and paying outside agency privilege.

I do hope I have helped you with your question. It is really very easy to do it yourself, providing you maintain adequate records. These may be subject to inspection.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you reply. I do my own GST online so will investigate Sage package.

My other question was whether VAT paid in advance when goods are imported to the UK is claimable?

Anne

When goods are imported to the UK HMRC may charge both Import Duties, there are literally thousands of rates, and VAT. The Import Duty you have to bear as a cost of sales. The VAT paid constitutes an input tax which can be reclaimed through the VAT100 form quarterly.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site, Anne.
Thank you support.