Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

To complete my tax return correctly, do I deduct my mortgage

To complete my tax return correctly, do I deduct my mortgage payments from my rental income to calculate my total rental income return?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
You can deduct the interest element of the mortgage repayment made (not the capital element of the repayment) from the rental income.
So if a buy to let mortgage or an interest only mortgage this would in fact normally be the whole repayment, but if the mortgage is a normal capital repayment mortgage. then just the interest.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance with your 2014 self assessment tax return
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you prompt and excellent advice.Smile

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome, let me know if you require any further assistance, however, it would be appreciated if you could rate me level of service I have provided (or click accept)
Thanks and have a great weekend