Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am a British born retiree with confirmed domiciled of choice

I am a British born retiree with confirmed domiciled of choice status in Spain. I may loose my UK non-dom status by moving out of Spain late March, however I could delay and move-out in the new tax year, after 5th April; would that be to my advantage? Thank you, Peter
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Pater
Thanks question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
Can you advise
1) Where will you move to in late March
2) What are you trying to avoid in NOT losing your UK non Dom status
I an then advise further
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sam - I will move to Luxembourg where I already have Residence, so right now I have a dual Residence, Spain and Luxembourg, but I will surrender my Spain Residence after moving.

I am up to speed in terms of the steps I need to take to establish Luxembourg as my new Domicile of Choice, but just wonder it it might give me a bit more time transition if I delay my formal departure from Spain until the new UK tax year.

The tax that concerns me is UK Inheritance

Thank you, Peter

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Peter
Thanks question
As you have no plans to come to the UK (and I assume have no UK assets that need to be considered Inheritance tax) then this transition period will have no bearing on the UK Inheritance tax position.
As long as you intention is to stay out of the UK remainder of your life and there are no exposed UK assets, then this move to Luxembourg has no bearing whether pre or post 5th April