bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have a question about VAT on personal training. I run a website

Customer Question

I have a question about VAT on personal training. I run a website where personal trainers list and can be booked. Is is clear on the website that the Ltd company running the website itself doesn't provide personal training services and is only a booking service.
The website takes payment and disperses to the personal trainers. We charge VAT on a booking fee, but not the fee dispersed to the trainer. My view is any VAT on the fee is liable by the trainer. Is this correct?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
The individual trainer is responsible fees payable to him and VAT appropriate. It is the trainers' responsibility to settle his own position with HMRC. The trainer should issue you with a VAT invoice to enable you to reclaim any input tax which can offset your own liabilities to HMRC.
I do hope I have helped shed some light on your position in this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** be clear.

If a trainer invoices us and doesnt charge VAT. The VAT liability rest with the trainer, not the Ltd company running the website?

The trainer is responsible own VAT accounting. Many trainers will probably be operating under the 81K VAT turnover registration threshold and not have bothered with the hassle of a voluntary registration.
Thank you support.