TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

, if I inherit some agricultural land, and sell it for £100,000

, if I inherit some agricultural land, and sell it for £100,000 - what are the tax implications, would I be better off spending it on the farm, and how long have I got to spend it?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
.

Can you tell me if you own and run a farm already please. Is the land you may inherit or have already inherited farmed by you already? What is or was the land worth when you inherited it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I own & run the farm in partnership with my mother. Have already inherited it, and no, its not farmed by me already. It has been sold now for £100,000 (current value)

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
What was the land worth when you inherited it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

probably £100,000 - if it was less (as land is increasing in value) - does this affect things?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

You will only have Capital Gains Tax to pay if you sold the land than it was worth when you inherited it. In addition, the first £11,000 of gains you make in the current tax year will be exempt from CGT.

Had the land been farmed by you, it would have constituted a business asset and you could have deferred some or all of the gain by investing in new business assets between 12 months before and 36 months after the disposal of the business asset. Take a look at HS290 here information. I think you will find it difficult to claim the relief if there was no business use of the land by your business.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.