TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

, my partner is a nurse and also does agency work to

my partner is a nurse and also does agency work to get a little extra cash to help with bills, the tax office have just changed her agency work tax code to DO (40%) and she earns no where near the threshold for 40% why have they done this.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me what your partner earns from each job please. Is the tax code for the 2014/15 tax year or the 2015/16 tax year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

her full time salary is 27000 then does 1 or 2 extra shifts a week on agency which isnt great pay i dont know the exact figures for the agency work, the letter from tax office said it was for year 2014/15

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

I've dealt with many NHS staff who also do agency work who do go into the 40% tax band and don't realise it. However, if your partner will not earn over £41,865 in the current tax year she should call the tax office on the number here and have the agency job tax code changed to BR (20%). They will do that while she is on the phone. She might also ask why the D0 code was issued.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help im pretty sure she hasnt earned so much from april last year we going to try ring them this morning

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
The tax return season is over so it shouldn't be too long a wait to get through to HMRC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes hope you are right. Just seems unfair that she gets penalized for haveing a second job in that tax code yet her normal job is in BR code

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tax code now been changed to BR thanks for your help