TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

, my partner is a nurse and also does agency work to

my partner is a nurse and also does agency work to get a little extra cash to help with bills, the tax office have just changed her agency work tax code to DO (40%) and she earns no where near the threshold for 40% why have they done this.

Can you tell me what your partner earns from each job please. Is the tax code for the 2014/15 tax year or the 2015/16 tax year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

her full time salary is 27000 then does 1 or 2 extra shifts a week on agency which isnt great pay i dont know the exact figures for the agency work, the letter from tax office said it was for year 2014/15

I've dealt with many NHS staff who also do agency work who do go into the 40% tax band and don't realise it. However, if your partner will not earn over £41,865 in the current tax year she should call the tax office on the number here and have the agency job tax code changed to BR (20%). They will do that while she is on the phone. She might also ask why the D0 code was issued.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help im pretty sure she hasnt earned so much from april last year we going to try ring them this morning

The tax return season is over so it shouldn't be too long a wait to get through to HMRC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes hope you are right. Just seems unfair that she gets penalized for haveing a second job in that tax code yet her normal job is in BR code

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tax code now been changed to BR thanks for your help