TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I received income from renting my house out and I want to declare

I received income from renting my house out and I want to declare it to HMRC. I believe I have to fill in a self assessment form but I have never done one before. I am a teacher so it is very difficult for me to contact anyone. I don't want to be charged extortion amounts for the lateness of the form. Please advice on how I can find a good accountant to communicate with online.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
You must report income from property rental of more than £2,500 a year on a Self Assessment tax return.
If it’s less than £2,500 a year, call the Self Assessment Helpline to report it.
Telephone: 0300(###) ###-####
Textphone: 0300(###) ###-####
Outside UK: +44(###) ###-####
If you have already registered for Self Assessment have your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) with you when you phone.
You are going to need to register with hMRC. Here is the url for HMRC page with the form and instructions:
https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/not-self-employed
You will look to #3 on that page.
We are not allowed to endorse of provide any name of an accountant online or in your specific city.
You can complete the forms yourself by using the HMRC online or the phone (providing the income is not over the amount I advised previously).