TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have been self employed in the UK but have now moved to Austria.

I have been self employed in the UK but have now moved to Austria. I wish to continue self employment here. I have filled out the forms and will begin on March 1st in Austria. What do I need to do regarding UK tax as I was working under UK from April 2014 until now. Do I need to wind it up in the U?
I am also renting a flat out in Manchester, how do I deal with tax on this in the UK while dealing with Austrian tax on my self employment? Do I need to fill out one UK tax form and not declare any of my work-based income/outgoings, and then for Austria fill out just work based income/outgoings and ignore any questions on rental income?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me what your accounting year end was in the UK please. Did it coincide with the tax year (6 April to 5 April)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes my tax year is 6th April. I have been freelance in the UK for a few years and the majority of this year in the UK so will need to fill in a self assessment form in April 2015

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

You will need to disclose the final period of self-employment in the UK in your 2014/15 tax return which will be issued on 6 April. Don't forget to put the date of cessation of the business in the UK in the appropriate box in the self-employment pages. If you have always run your accounts to 5 April, there will be no overlap relief.

As far as the rental property is concerned, the income from that will remain taxable in the UK after you have left the UK and, assuming it will also be taxable in Austria, you will be able to deduct any UK tax paid on that income from the tax payable in Austria under the double tax treaty between the two countries. You will also be entitled to a UK personal allowance to use against your rental income provided you are covered by one of the criteria here. The right to a UK personal allowance may change in the future for non-UK residents as you can read here.

As a non-resident landlord, you will need to register with the non-resident landlord scheme which you can do here. You can apply to not have tax deducted from your rental income by the letting agent or tenant on a form NRL1i which you can find here. There are qualifying criteria. Any tax deducted in excess of your UK tax liability on rental income will be repaid to you. You will certainly need to continue submitting UK tax returns disclosing your UK rental income if you are issued with them by HMRC or you think you have a UK tax liability but have not been issued with a tax return.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** question regarding this. From April 2015 onwards when filling in my uk self assessment do I therefore leave off my freelance work (ie anything not related to the flat I am renting out) as this no longer relates to UK income?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
You would not include your self-employed work as you are now working in Austria. It doesn't matter where your clients are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thats great, thanks for your help.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Thanks and good luck in Austria.