TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have received a p800 stating I owe over £2.000 in underpaid

I have received a p800 stating I owe over £2.000 in underpaid tax .I am a pensioner with three providers,looking back I seems that hmrc issued incorrect tax codes to my providers what can I do.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
HMRC will usually change your tax code so the tax you owe is taken from your wages or pension in the future. The P800 tax calculation tells you how much extra they will take during the following tax year - usually in equal instalments.
That may be what you are reading on the P800. The additional amount as well as the regular amount that would be taken out.
I would suggest you call HMRC again 0300(###) ###-####
Let them know your concerns about the code and what they have set up for you.
When you get income from more than one pension provider, each will usually use a different tax code. When you think you’re paying too much or too little tax and have more than one tax code it is up to you to tell HMRC.
When you have been sent a Tax Calculation, or P800, showing you have underpaid tax, in certain circumstances HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) may agree not to collect it exercising its discretion under 'Extra Statutory Concession A19' (ESC A19).
HMRC will only agree not to collect the underpaid tax if all the following circumstances apply:
HMRC received information which affected your tax code
HMRC failed to make proper and timely use of that information
failed to notify you of the underpayment within 12 months of the end of the tax year in which HMRC received the information
it was reasonable for you to believe your tax affairs were in order
This means, for example, if you receive a Tax Calculation, or P800, in the 2013 to 2014 tax year showing that you have underpaid tax in the previous tax year (2012 to 2013) then ESC A19 will not apply.
I suggest you call HMRC at the number I supplied and speak with them directly.