Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I want to gift my property to my son 21st Birthday.

I want to gift my property to my son for his 21st Birthday. I have been told that if I do this outright, as it is not my main residence, I would have to pay Capital Gains Tax. I was advised to put in in Trust with at least 2 Trustees for at least 3 years and the property could then be put in my son's name with no tax implications. Is this correct and if so, can you suggest someone who can set up this Trust for me, or can any solicitor do it?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

I am afraid even the placing of this property (that is not your main residence) into trust will trigger a capital gain event. And it would appear that this is what you were advsied could be avoided if this property was placed in trust.

So be mindful of this, but then to advise, any solicitor can action the setting up of trusts