bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I received a P800 underpayment tax demand last year in

Customer Question

Hi I received a P800 underpayment tax demand for year 2013/14 in November 2014. HMRC has now ruled I should be responsible for this amount and not my employers, HMRC alleged I knowingly worked in 2 jobs at the same time which was not the case. I had in that year worked for 2 employers but never at the same time. One of the employers stated they did not receive my P45, the other had my salary and tronc on 2 payslips that may have resulted in excessive personal allowances and I am not sure if this was the reason HMRC got confused in thinking I had 2 jobs at the same time. Please help.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. I regret that my response will not be to your liking.
You should always check both any tax coding notices you receive as well as pay slips to ensure that the correct ones are being used by your employer. In this case something has clearly gone wrong and two tranches of personal allowances incorrectly applied. Unfortunately you are responsible for meeting the Income Tax under deducted as indicated on the P800.
If the sum involved is under 3K you can ask HMRC to recover the amount outstanding through your tax code which at least spreads the load as opposed to having to settle a lump sum.
You could try applying to employers telling them that they have made errors, but I doubt if they would be agreeable to recompensing you and would suggest that legal action would fail anyway as well as being an expensive option. If you are a member of a trade union they may be prepared to assist and put pressure on your employers.
I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Thank you for your support.