taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I received my tax return this morning stating that I am due

I received my tax return this morning stating that I am due to pay them £57.60,which I paid on the 7 Nov 2014,acknowledged by the tax them on my self assessment statement,statement number 015,tax reference 36399 49584 this was conveyed to me on december 2014they concluded that I had overpaid them by £57.60.
paye coding notice tax code for the year 2015-16,states,para three we previously told you that you owe £57.60 from an earlier year,to collect this we have reduced your tax free amount by £288.00.can this be resolved?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please advise if you filed your tax return on paper or online.

Have you cleared all tax payable as shown on SA302 Summary of tax calculation for 2013-14?
Have you been able to access your account online to see which year you seem to have underpaid when you say this amount owed relates to earlier year

Normally, HMRC is receptive to phone calls dealing with tax codes, from my experience dealing on behalf of my clients.

Have you received notice of coding for 2015-16 as opposed to tax return?

I await further news.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I filed my tax return online.

I have cleared all previous balances,to the last statement which showed that I was in credit to the value £57.60.

the only observation I can see is that this was for year 2014.

William, thank you for your prompt reply.

If you are not getting a suitable answer on the phone, then my advice to you is to write to your tax office that issued PAYE tax coding notice and explain your payments and request they review your tax code and amend it if necessary.

Please be certain this amount being claimed does not later to prior years before you approach HMRC.

In their reply, they will offer you full calculations of this shortfall.

Please keep a copy of your correspondence with HMRC.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. Please only rate my answer if it is acceptable.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have since been on the phone again to them,and the matter has been resolved adequately and my tax code has been corrected.

William, thank you for your reply.
I am pleased you have resolved the matter,

I hope my input was helpful.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate/accept the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.

Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)