bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I own 24000 timeshare points which I am about to sell through

Customer Question

I own 24000 timeshare points which I am about to sell through a firm registered in Spain. I have been contacted by a Company in Madrid (?Hacienda) acting on behalf of the sales company advising me that the proceeds of the sale (£265000 ) have been received but before it can be transferred to my Bank I need to pay tax of 15% to the Spanish tax office. When I receive the proceeds of the sale I will also receive documentation regarding the background to the sale which I must send to Inland Revenue who will refund me the tax paid.
can you advise whether this is standard procedure.
As a matter of interest the account into which I have been asked to make the payment is in the name of a private individual. This I am informed would be the head of a particular section in the Revenue office and is an acceptable practice in Spain.
You will appreciate that this all seems strange to me. Your comments/ advice will be appreciated.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
This sounds like a classic scam to me. Who ever heard of paying tax revenues to the bank account of a private individual? You must consult a Spanish lawyer to handle such matters.
Be very, very careful would be my advice. Spain and property transactions abound with scams.
I do hope I have helped you with your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Confirms my suspicions

Delighted to have been of assistance.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.