taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My father passed away in 2012 in Japan and I inherited

My father passed away in 2012 in Japan and I inherited some Japanese share which I recently sold and transferred money to UK. Will I be considered a inheritance? It was worth less than £80,000 in total. It was sold at the same price as the price my father originally bought. So I am hoping that I will not have top pay inheritance tax.
Thanks and regards
Reiko
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

For capital gains tax purposes, your cost base is the valuation price at the time you inherited the shares and not its original cost price. If you have sold the shares for a price greater than the valuation at the time of inheritance, then the gain would be chargeable to CGT.

For inheritance tax purposes, the value of those shares would have formed part of your late father's estate and IHT would have been assessed for probate, if the estate exceeded his threshold for IHT.

You would only be liable to inheritance tax if the estate did not have enough funds to IHT if any.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.

I did not inherit anything other than the share.

So does it mean I do not have to pay or I am liable for capital gains tax?

The price I sold at was higher than the price at the time I inherited.

Reiko

Reiko, thank you for your prompt reply.

As you sold the shares for a price greater than what the value of those shares was when you inherited them, the gain would be chargeable to capital gains tax.

You would claim your annual gains allowance against this gain (£11,000 in current tax year) and the balance would be taxed at CGT rate of 18%, 28% or a combination of both rates depending on your taotal income in the tax year when the sale took place.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.