TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have received a new PAYE coding Notice -16.

Customer Question

I have received a new PAYE coding Notice for 2015-16. My tax reference is 951/XZ08452 and my NI no. is EK341276C. My wife Jean XXXX XXXXX sadly died on 4th February 2015. I expect this to change the married couple's allowance which I have claimed in the past. Please advise me on action HMRC or myself must take W.R.XXXXXX

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry for your loss.

As you will see here, you are entitled to the married couples allowance for the whole of the tax year in which your wife died, 2014/15. All you need to do to have your 2015/16 tax coding changed is to call the tax office on the number here, tell them that your wife has passed away and they will review the code and change if it necessary while you are on the phone to them.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.