MyVirtualCPA
MyVirtualCPA, Accountant
Experience:  CPA with Master's degree in accounting
23669918

I have had health insurance through company scheme since retired

I have had health insurance through company scheme since retired in 1997. Most of the cost was paid by my former employer.
Due to my retirement date, I had no tax liability for the payment made by the company.
The company started to demand a contribution some years ago due to increasing costs and this I paid.
In the current tax year, I accepted an offer to cease taking the benefit and took a cash settlement. Tax has been deducted.
As benefit was not taxable, it seems logical for the cash settlement to be non-taxable as I have to use the amount involved to provide for my own medical costs in future.
Will HMRC accept my contention?
Expert:  MyVirtualCPA replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you
Unfortunately this is a cash benefit, and your contention will not be agreed with -- only the benefit of receiving the health insurance is not taxable when you receive cash then this is a cash benefit and is taxable, unfortunately
I wish I had better news
Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.