bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have just received a new tax code where I am being assessed

Customer Question

I have just received a new tax code where I am being assessed at -£6188-00 for fuel on my company car. being a 40% tax payer the fuel allowance being paid would in my opinion represent 206.00 approx. per month.
My private mileage I estimate is probably around the 40-50 per month and therefore can I have stopped out of my wage £ 50-00 per month to cover private mileage and alleviate the minus tax code
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
First rule of PAYE, always check tax codes on issue.
Write to the tax office which has issued the code and challenge their computation. It appears to have little connection with reality. It looks as though HMRC staff have resorted to one of their favourite methods of assessing sums due, the dice box!
Never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever discuss such matters verbally with HMRC staff. Verbal communications always present a danger of the other side getting hold of the wrong end of the stick as they clearly have in this case. That is if they can even find the stick at all. With written communications you have permanent record of both your queries and their responses, if any.
You may be in for a bout of letter writing.
I do hope I have shown you the next step forward.