taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

, My mother who is 80 transferred her house in to her

Customer Question

My mother who is 80 transferred her house in to her 3 sons names 30 years ago , she still lives in the house and has not paid rent while living their and pays all utility bills etc , herself. I left the house 20 years ago and my brothers left 28 , and 30 years ago. The house is worth about 325000 . IF my mother should pass away and we decide to sell the house , how is the capital gain calculated. also is the property still considered as part of her estate due to her still living there and not paying rent , and if so what tax implications would this have . Also can you make any recommendations to reduce the tax burden in the future if we eventually are in the situation were we have to sell the house
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You state your mother transferred her house to her 3 sons but has continue to live in it rent free.

What is your mother's wealth including this property for IHT purposes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Property 325000

Saving 50000

Total 375000

Andrew, thank you for your prompt reply.

Your mother’s estate would be worth £375,000 in the event of death.

The rules relating to passing on a home as a gift are:

(source: HMRC website on inheritance tax)

If a person passed on their home to their children (or someone else) before they died, it’s treated as a gift and the 7-year rule applies.

But if they continued to live in it rent-free, their estate has to pay Inheritance Tax on the home even if they lived for 7 years after giving it away. This is known as a ‘gift with reservation of benefit’.

It is clear from your statement that your mother has continued to live in the property rent free. Therefore the property would form part of her estate for IHT purposes.

It will pass on to the boys on death

More information on this can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/passing-on-home

[q]

IF my mother should pass away and we decide to sell the house , how is the capital gain calculated. also is the property still considered as part of her estate due to her still living there and not paying rent , and if so what tax implications would this have . Also can you make any recommendations to reduce the tax burden in the future if we eventually are in the situation were we have to sell the house

[a]

Capital gains would be calculated based on probate value being the base price and not the original cost when the property was bought or value 30 years ago.

You gain would be the difference between probate value and eventual sale price.

Each one of you would claim gains allowance against your share of the gain and the balance would be taxed at CGT rate of 18%, 28% or a combination of both based on your total income in the year of sale.

If the property was made a main residence by any one of you, that brother would claim private residence relief against the gain.

Otherwise, being a second home, allgain is chargeable to capital gains tax.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Hello Andrew

I notice you have viewed my response to your question about capital gains tax payable on property transferred to the boys by your mother (JACUSTOMER-2wjnrijs- Last Viewed on 18/03/2015 at 14:57).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate/accept the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.