TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am 79 and my wife 75. My pension income is £23k on which

I am 79 and my wife 75. My pension income is £23k on which £2.5k tax has been paid. My wife's pension income is £4.7k, nil tax paid. Can she transfer any personal relief to me in order to make a refund claim. Many thanks
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me what your dates of birth were please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have given our ages!
I DO NOT wish to have any monthly subscription. This is a one off request. If this is a condition of your service I do not wish to continue.
Please advise.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
It's not a condition of the service to have a monthly subscription. Contact just answer customer services here to cancel any monthly subscription if you have one.

I'm drafting an answer to your question now. I will post it here in a short while.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Hi again.

You cannot transfer any of your wife's unused personal allowance to yourself for 2014/15 or earlier tax years unfortunately. The married couple's allowance which is only available to those couples where one or both of the spouses was born before 6 April 1935 can be switched between spouses.

As you can read here, from 6 April 2015, your wife will be able to transfer 10% of her personal allowance to you which will save you some tax at 20%. You can apply to do that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.