TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am moving to Spain and will still be working UK employer,

Customer Question

I am moving to Spain and will still be working for my UK employer, I have been told I need to fill in a P85 to obtain a NT tax code but I am confused where I will pay my tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
The P85 your employer asked you to complete is to obtain full UK tax relief on your earnings.
Britain has a double taxation agreement with Spain to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries.
You will be paying tax in Spain. Personal income tax (spanish initials, irpf)is a personal, direct tax on individual income that varies according to personal and family circumstances.
When an individual remains in Spain for more than 183 days in a calendar
year they are resident for tax purposes.
I would suggest you speak with your company and ask if they will be withholding and paying your tax in Spain as an employee. This also includes any Social Security and Unemployment.