Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Through ill advice i owe a considerable amount of tax. At this

Through ill advice i owe a considerable amount of tax. At this moment, i am 69 years of age and working as an engineer in various parts of the world, i have no savings left and pay what i can each month. How do i stand legally as i have an accountant that is dealing with my tax affairs, and in the last month the dept tax office has phoned my accountant asking when the next payment is going to be made, and threatening me with taking personnel possessions ( car etc ) While i am trying to pay as much as i can, how do i stand? can they just come to my house and remove my possessions without prior notice?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts.

Why has your accountant not attempted to negotiate a time to pay arrangement with HMRC for you, as this would then allow HMRC to formally accept the figure each month, that you are able to affird, without constantly harrassing you (via your accountant) or threatening to remove goods to meet some of the tax due.

What was the last agreed arrangement with HMRC regarding this debt?

Are you able to borrrow any money towards it - or pay some via a credit card.

I need to know what has (if anything) put in place so far.