TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

, My tax code -2016 is the standard one: 1060L. I

My tax code for 2015-2016 is the standard one: 1060L.
I am only paid 39 weeks per year (and not 52 weeks per year).
How will my income tax and NI be calculated? Will I be likely to over pay income tax and NI?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Which part of the year do you work? Is that for the same employer? What do you do for a living?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am a teaching assistant and I am paid school term time only (that is 39 weeks from beginning of September until about mid-July). I work for only one employer.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Hi again.

PAYE works on a cumulative basis. Assuming the school's payroll people continue to do their monthly real time information return submissions to HMRC, your tax and NIC should be updated automatically for each of the non-working months.

If you continue to get payslips in the summer period, your tax should reduce and you should get some back as you won't be earning any money but you will still be entitled to your personal allowance each month. You should ask your payroll section what their process is in the summer months.

NIC is based on the earnings for each pay period and is not worked out on a cumulative basis as income tax is so you won't get a refund as you should of tax.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.