bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

How do I charge and account Vat on a Commercial Property

Customer Question

How do I charge and account for the Vat on a Commercial Property that is being sold. We are the landlords and have elected to charge vat on the rental income and disposal. Do we have to raise a separate invoice for the disposal
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Well, yes; normally one would not see a formal invoice for the sale of landed property, but in this case, as an election to impose the tax on rental income has been made, it will be necessary to issue the buyer with a formal invoice showing the amount of VAT payable. Such an invoice must conform with the normal rules for VAT invoicing ie unique reference, date, VAT Number, amount of VAT charged and at which rate etc.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.