Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I've been working in Saudi Arabia months and now

I've been working in Saudi Arabia for seven months and now back home, will I be liable for a big tax bill?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question I am Sama nd I am one of the UK tax experts.

As you did not leave the UK to work abroad for a period of time, that spanned at leasta full tax year - there is very likley to be a UK tax liability.as you will have spent more than 90 days in the UK in this tax year.

But to see if this can be treated as tax free

Could you advise

1) The date you left the UK to take this contract abroad

2) The visits you made back to the UK during this 7 months

3) The date the contract finished and you came back to the UK

4) Any ties that you had in the UK such as family (wife or partner) property etc

I can then advise with more certainty

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Left 1st August 2014. Came home for one week after every 28 days. Finished 20th February 2015. Got wife & mortgage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When can I expect an answer for the last reply?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response, apologies this initially did not appear back on the question list - hence the delay

You will be treated as resdient in the UK throughout - as you would have spent 161 days (just before and after) and then with the week home after every 28 days this would amount to a further 35 days - which amounts to a total of 196 - and as this is in excess of 183 days in the UK, regardless of the pattern of work or the ties - you are UK resident which means you will be liable to tax on your income from abroad.

I assume you advsied HMRC back in Aug 2014 of this work abroad - (completed form P85 for them) If so, they will be due to issue you a self assessment tax retrun after 05/04/2015 - on which you declare your total income (both UK income from 6th April 2014 to 31/07/2014 and any from 21/02/2015 until the 5/04/2015 and then also the income from abroad.