bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am a full time employee of a UK company working 5 days per

Customer Question

I am a full time employee of a UK company working 5 days per week, I pay my taxes via PAYE for this company.
I am taking a week holiday from that company to go and work for another company that is based in the UK, but I will be working in Austria.
Usually when I work for this second company I get paid after I invoice them and then I calculate my taxes when I fill in my self assesment tax forms at the end of the year, and I pay the required taxes then.
Because I am going to Austria for this week, we they have been asked to fill in a tax form on my behalf - either form CA3822 (PAYE) or form CA3837 (Self employed) however I don't know which to fill in, I am normally on PAYE but not when I work for this company so they don't have any PAYE reference for me (which is required for the document) , but I am also not self-employed as i do not have a company - I am working for this UK company and paying taxes seperately, so I am really confused as to what I actually need to fill in, can you help ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
If you are remunerated by the second company on an invoice issued by you you are technically self employed albeit in a small way. Thus the relevant form is the CA3827. HMRC will not be unduly concerned, they note your emoluments outside from your PAYE employment from your annual self assessment tax return and will be aware that you are an honest taxpayer.
Many people in the UK are in the same position as you, it's a real Dad's Army 'Don't Panic' situation.
I do hope I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.
Thank you for your excellent support.