Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I intend living in France, won't be working there and I receive

I intend living in France, won't be working there and I receive a Full Military Pension now. It is circa £14,500 pa. What UK taxes or contributions would I expect to pay? If I returned to the UK would I be able to use the NHS (for example)
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question

You will remain liable to UK tax on this pension as it arises in the UK and falls within the remit of a governmental pension (and then should advise the French tax authorities of this pension and the fact you bring it into France - and also advise them of any tax suffered as you will create a tax consideration as you will be resident in France so do seek some advise on the tax position in France)

So the first £10,600 will be tax free (assuming you are under 65 in age) so tax of £780 a year will arise (and PAYE will continue to operate against this pension payment) but there will be no National Insurance deductions as a pension.

As for NHS entitlement

I have added a link here from the NHS website that advsies on entitlement to NHS free treatment http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1086.aspx?categoryid=68 (we are a UK tax expert forum not NHS!) And there are contact details if you wish to ask further into your position

But any return to the UK will se you entitled fully to NHS services - see link here

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1087.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=162

Please do let me know if you wish me to expand on any of the information I have provided.

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and have a tiny point which may interest you in your planning.
I have a military friend who retired to France. French tax is incredibly complicated and always changing. France has five times as many tax Inspectors per head of population than does the UK.
As far as French taxation is concerned neither he nor his wife's military and Civil Service pensions are taxed at all in France, they are, of course in the UK, but they are subject to French taxation on their State Pensions which as you probably know are paid gross in the UK.
Just thought you might like to know.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

I am sure you can appreciate we are not French tax experts - so do seek expert advise on the French position