bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I work through an umbrella company and I can't get them to

Customer Question

I work through an umbrella company and I can't get them to include all of my expenses. The treat my personal tax as if it is up to them how much tax I should pay. What can I do?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
First check your contract with the umbrella company to ensure that the expenses you claim are covered.
Once you have verified the position take it up with them in writing. Should they still prove obdurate sue them for the missing moneys in the County or the Sheriff Court as appropriate.
Presumably the the umbrella company issue proper documentation to support your emoluments and the tax deducted. If this is not the case report their antics to HMRC. If the tax deductions are incorrect it will all come out in the wash as it were when you do your annual self assessment tax return though I appreciate that it is irritating to have to wait to the end of every tax year for settlement.
I do hope that I have shown you a way forward with your problem.
Thank you for your support.