taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Does a Global Association - like the one I have

Does a Global Association - for example like the one I have set up called The Global Trade Repository Asociation - have to pay VAT for things it buys the UK. It will eventuallyb have a network of offices around the world but the UK office will buy the equipment t needs in the UK.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please clarify for me...
you say the UK office will buy the equipment it needs in the UK. Did it pay VAT for stationery bought?

Is the Global Association VAT registered?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I did not pay VAT for the Stationery and thus far the Association is not registered for VAT. I needed to know whether In should register it hence the question

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you give me an answer please - I am keen to find out so that I can draw up invoices for membership fees.

Thank you for your reply.

If you are likely to make vatable supplies then you should consider registering for VAT albeit your turnover may not be at the VAT threshold at present. The benefit of registering means you will be able to reclaim VAT paid on your purchases and expenses. Office equipment and furniture are vatable supplies. I am surprised your stationery costs did you have any VAT unless you bought them from a non VAT registered supplier.

All organisations and individuals pay VAT on goods/services bought in the UK at standard rate/reduced rate unless the goods are exempt from VAT.

There is some helpful information on VAT if you were to charge a fee to become a member of The Global Trade Repository Asociation.

http://www.sayervincent.co.uk/Asp/uploadedFiles/File/Updates/VATonMembershipSubscriptions.pdf

If you are not VAT registered then the cost of goods to your orgainistion would be inclusive of VAT where applicable, unless your supplier is not VAT registered, and then you would not be able to reclaim VAT paid.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond