How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15946
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am 78 years old. I have an income of £28000 approx.on which

Resolved Question:

I am 78 years old. I have an income of £28000 approx.on which I am taxed (my code for 15/16 is 238L).My wife receives a State Pension of £3068 approx.which is tax free. My question is can she transferany of her tax free allowance to me and if so what proportion is allowed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me what your own and your wife's dates of birth were please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My date of birth is 11/07/1936
My wife's date of birth is 15/01/1942
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi again.

As you were both born after 5 April 1935, you are not entitled to the married couple's allowance unfortunately. However, you are entitled to the marriage allowance which has come into being in the 2015/16 tax year.

Take a look here for the qualifying criteria and register your interest by following the steps indicated in green. Your wife will be able to transfer £1,060 (10%) of her personal allowance to you which will save you £212 in tax.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you