TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am 78 years old. I have an income of £28000 approx.on which

I am 78 years old. I have an income of £28000 approx.on which I am taxed (my code for 15/16 is 238L).My wife receives a State Pension of £3068 approx.which is tax free. My question is can she transferany of her tax free allowance to me and if so what proportion is allowed?

Can you tell me what your own and your wife's dates of birth were please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My date of birth is 11/07/1936
My wife's date of birth is 15/01/1942

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Hi again.

As you were both born after 5 April 1935, you are not entitled to the married couple's allowance unfortunately. However, you are entitled to the marriage allowance which has come into being in the 2015/16 tax year.

Take a look here for the qualifying criteria and register your interest by following the steps indicated in green. Your wife will be able to transfer £1,060 (10%) of her personal allowance to you which will save you £212 in tax.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.