TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Can I lower, via an AVC (into my pension), my income tax threshold

Can I lower, via an AVC (into my pension), my income tax threshold to the lower rate for Capital Gains Tax purposes?

How do you pay your AVC? Is it a gross payment into an employer scheme or is it paid into the scheme via your payslip?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just need to check with my HR Dept - I'll come back shortly.

OK. You should ask them if tax relief is given via the payslip, ie is the contribution deducted from the pay before the tax is worked out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure if my last reply went through?

This is what HR told me:

AVC’s are paid through payroll, your contribution is deducted after the tax has been calculated

C

However, the answer from your HR people seems somewhat ambiguous? Are they saying that no tax relief is given at source and that the gross AVC which is deducted from your pay will be paid direct to the pension plan provider so that they don't need to reclaim the basic rate tax relief?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not 100% sure. I will go and ask them a bit later. Thanks for your help so far

OK. Either way, it will affect the CGT rates applied to any capital gains.

Thanks for accepting my answer.