TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Why has my tax code changed to BR which has resulted in a monthly

Why has my tax code changed to BR which has resulted in a monthly deficit from my late husband's pension to me of £122. This will result in an annual shortfall of £1464.00
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

There could be any number of reasons why the tax code has changed. Can you tell me what sources of income you have and how much you receive from each one before tax please. What is your date of birth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

State Pension £7728.87

Teacher's Pension £10582.01

Other Income £150

Income before tax £18460.88

DOB 06 10 46

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me which income source the BR code has been issued against please.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Ignore my previous post. I'm working on your figures now.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
I'm back.

Based on your date of birth, you are entitled to a personal tax allowance of £10,600. From that you deduct the state pension of £7,728 which is paid gross and you are left with net allowances of £2,872 which convert to a tax code of 287P. You should not be on a BR (20%) tax code.

I'm afraid that you will have to call the tax office on the number here to have the tax code changed quickly. They will do it while you are on the phone to them. The best time to call is 8am in the morning. Alternatively, complete the form here and send it to HMRC over the internet.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.