Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

If I bought a house and I send it within 2 years after purchased,

If I bought a house and I send it within 2 years after purchased, will I need to pay Capital Gains tax? Somebody told me that it is free within two years time, is it correct?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and one of the UK tax experts
IF the property has been your main residence throughout its ownership, and you then move out - then you have 18 months from the date you move out - to sell and NOT incur a capital gain (or the last 18 months of ownership if the sale takes place more than 18 months later) but these are the only time this exemption applies.