Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Capital gains tax from the UK Can someone please

Capital gains tax for leavers from the UK
Can someone please clarify the situation for a recent non-uk resident who may be forced (owing to a financial settlement of a divorce) to dispose of assets withing 12 months of leaving the UK.
My understanding is that there is a five year rule. Does this mean that any disposals withing 5 years of leaving the UK are subject to CGT or does it mean that there is no CGT PROVIDED the non-uk resident does not return to the UK within 5 years?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and one of the UK tax experts.
I am afraid its not that simple anymore -can you advise
1) What you will dispose of in the UK
2) Are you a British Citizen
3) Do you plan to leave the UK for good, or for at least 5 full tax years
4) What visits might you make back to the UK between now and the next 5 tax years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sam, thanks for your quick response.

I am a partner is an LLP and the intention is that all of the assets will be sold to a third party for x, as yet unknown.

I am a UK citizen, born in the UK and moved to Jersey in July last year. I have paid UK tax in every year including the period ending 6th April 2015 with compensation since 2006 via my membership of the LLP.

I plan to live in Jersey permanently, certainly for 5 years or longer.

I expect to stay in the UK roughly 70 nights per year and, based on the HMRC questionaire that can help to answer the SRT tests, I am non-resident for UK tax purposes.

Hope that helps.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
Then this does not appear to be a capital gain on an individual but seemingly on the LLP - so the LLP will suffer the capital gains tax rather than you as an individual.
And as its a LLP it does not have shares (as a limited company does) so cannot be considered as a disposal made by an individual for their share of the business owned.
If its a disposal and sale of your share of the business, then this will remain free of Uk tax - and you just need to consider whether this needs to be declared to the Jersey tax authorities, so do seek advise there (we, as I am sure you can appreciate are just UK tax experts)
Let me know if you require any further assistance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Sam
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andrew
You are very welcome
Please do take the time out to rate (click accept) as this ensures I am credited for my time