Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My mother left me her half of the family home when she died

My mother left me her half of the family home when she died in 2008. The value of her half was £150,000
My father continued to live in the house but died a couple of months ago. He has obviously left the rest of the house to me.
Total value of the house now is £350,000.
I am advised by my solicitor I am liable for Capital Gains Tax for the increase of £25,000 my mothers haous has increased in the last 7 years Is that correct?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
If you plan to sell then yes you have a capital gain consideration as this has never been your main residence, but its not quite as the solicitor advises
You have a gain of £200,000 made since 2008 - (current value £350K and value at time of inherited half share £250K so and half of this gain is deemed to be yours - so £100,000
The first £11,100 is then the rest is liable to capital gains tax.
(if a higher rate taxpayer then all of the gain left at 28% and if a basic rate taxpayer - unused basic rate band at 18% and any additional gain at 28%
If you decide not to sell at this time, and the property increases in value between now and the sale date - then this additional gain will also need to be considered.
Let me know if you wish any further assistance with this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a bit confused with your answer.

The total price of the house in 2008 was £300,000 (including my fathers half) My mothers half was worth £150,000 not £250,000. The total increase on the house has only been £50,000 (my half has only been £25,000) in the 7 years not £200,000

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel
Thanks for your response
I do apologise - as her half share was only £150,000 in 2008 (I read that to mean the property was valued at £150,000 in 2008) - that meant the property was worth £300,000 in 2008
Its now worth £350,000 and less the value in 2008 - leaves a gain of £50,000 of which your half share is £25,000
Then the first £11,100 is exempt - and the reminder is liable to capital gains tax.
(if a higher rate taxpayer then all of the gain left at 28% and if a basic rate taxpayer - unused basic rate band at 18% and any additional gain at 28%)
Again very sorry for my misreading the information in your initial question
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax