bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

..I filled in my tax self assessment form late and was given

Hi..I filled in my tax self assessment form late and was given a 100 pounds penalty. is this a civil penalties under the UK Immigration Acts,...many thanks.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
No, this is a penalty under the UK taxation regime.
However, HMRC have now expressed their intention to dispense with these fines so I would advise to to appeal against the imposition on the grounds of a revised policy announced by that department. After all they can only say no! Here is what the Mail on Line have to say on the subject:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2944790/HMRC-end-100-fines-late-self-assessment-tax-returns-radical-new-Government-plans.html
I do hope that I have been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Keith..your reply is excellent and I have rated you as excellent in the Justanswer feedback.

you are worth every penny of the 47 quid I paid..if only government departments were as quick and clear as you!

Yes, well when you have heard a tax inspector demand immediate payment in cash for tax that was not even due, you have your doubts as to the system. Needless to say he didn't get it and a complaint about his antics went to his superiors followed by a very hurried withdrawal of demands and an apology.
Thank you for your support.