bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

..I filled in my tax self assessment form late and was given

Customer Question

Hi..I filled in my tax self assessment form late and was given a 100 pounds penalty. is this a civil penalties under the UK Immigration Acts,...many thanks.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
No, this is a penalty under the UK taxation regime.
However, HMRC have now expressed their intention to dispense with these fines so I would advise to to appeal against the imposition on the grounds of a revised policy announced by that department. After all they can only say no! Here is what the Mail on Line have to say on the subject:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2944790/HMRC-end-100-fines-late-self-assessment-tax-returns-radical-new-Government-plans.html
I do hope that I have been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Keith..your reply is excellent and I have rated you as excellent in the Justanswer feedback.

you are worth every penny of the 47 quid I paid..if only government departments were as quick and clear as you!

Yes, well when you have heard a tax inspector demand immediate payment in cash for tax that was not even due, you have your doubts as to the system. Needless to say he didn't get it and a complaint about his antics went to his superiors followed by a very hurried withdrawal of demands and an apology.
Thank you for your support.