bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have a £50,000 Company Pension plus about £9000 of a State

Customer Question

I have a £50,000 Company Pension plus about £9000 of a State pension. My wife has a £5000 State Pension. Can I claim any or all of her unused Personal Allowance to help reduce my Income tax Bill ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Please advise your age then I can help you further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 84 and my wife is 78.

In theory you can use 1K of her personal allowance and have it transferred to you. Here is HMRC advice on this matter:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/293790/TIIN_2518_transferable_tax_allowance_for_married_couples_and_civil_partners.pdf
Be warned though, it may be a long process. My wife has applied to transfer and so far her application has been received a stony silence from HMRC, which reminds me I must chase it up!
I do hope I have assisted you with your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I thought this only applied only where the recipient, eg me, did not pay tax above the basic rate. You can see from my pension this would not be the case.

You are correct, I have mislead you. It only applies to those within the 20% tax bracket. Regrettably you will be at the 40% level unless you have some other way of reducing your taxable income.

By the by, to register for this use the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

Might be useful some day like when your pension provider goes broke [joke].

I hang my head in shame, so sorry to have to rain on your parade.

you for your support and please accept my sincere apologies for initially getting your hopes up.