taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Taxation of non-resident partners in LLP I know that non-resident

Taxation of non-resident partners in LLP
I know that non-resident partners are only taxed on their UK profits and not on overseas profits but how is the source of profits defined? We are a fund management company and we have two large clients, one in the UK, one in the US. Lets assume that the revenue between these two is the same and profits are equal as well. All the work is undertaken in the UK. What proportion is overseas profits, 50% or nil?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please clarify that work is done in the UK for all clients whether the client is based in the UK or some other country and billed out of the UK setup.

many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the work is done in the UK in the example I used.

Andrew, thank you for your reply.

As all the work is done in the UK then income has arisen in the UK and therefore profits (100%) would be chargeable to UK taxation, irrespective of client base.

Non-resident partners would also be liable to tax on profits arising out that income, I'm afraid.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No thats fine, I was just checking. We also have a Guernsey company which is currently not a corporate member of the LLP, but could be. If the Guernsey company did the US work, would this alter the calculation?

Thanks for your reply.

As long as income stays outside the UK setup, and that profits from the Guernsey company remain offshore, it would work.

I hope this is helpful.
Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)

Hello Andrew

I notice you have viewed my last response to your question about taxation of profits for non-resident partners (Customer Last Viewed on 21/04/2015 at 08:23).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate/accept the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.