taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Dear People Regarding a personal assistant he uses his own

Dear People
Regarding a personal assistant he uses his own car to take his disabled service user to day care services. He is claiming 7.50 hours transport on top of his 10.00 hours basic at £7.00 per hour and also 45 miles per week mileage (45.00 x 45p) £20.25
As a third party agent running payroll for the client I am unsure how to pay this and if Tax and NI need to be paid or stopped.
Payroll is run on a 4 weekly basis
Can you please advise should hate to get this wrong
Thanking You
Dawn
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please clarify for me..
His salary is made up of transport hours (7.50) and work hours (10.00) making a total of 17 50 hours at hourly rate of £7.00

is this for a week or daily hours?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes Basic 10.00 hours and transport 7.50 hours, this is on a weekly basis at £7.00 per hour

Dawn

Dawn, thank you for your prompt reply.

As far as salary goes his weekly pay is (17.50 x 7.00) £122.50. This is above the lower earnings and below the primary threshold limit. At this level, no NI is payable by either employee or employer.

As far is tax is concerned, if this employee has no other job and you were to apply emergency code then no Tax would be deductable.

If the person has another job then you may have to apply BR tax code and deduct tax at basic rate on all pay.

Paying mileage allowance using HMRC fixed rates means this payment is outside the scope of tax and NI...no tax deductions on this payment.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.