bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am considering getting married. at present my pension is

Customer Question

I am considering getting married. at present my pension is based on my late husbands full contributions. Will I get a lower pension if I marry?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello,That depends on the payer of the pension and the specific plan document. If this is a private pension you would need to check with the administrator and see if the plan document speaks o remarriage for surviving spouse.For an example, SSA benefits:If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who has passed away, you could still be eligible for survivors benefits if the marriage lasted 10 years or more. Survivors benefits are equivalent to the deceased spouse’s full Social Security benefit amount.However, if you remarry before the age of 60, you cannot collect survivors benefits (unless the later marriage ends for any reason). If you remarry after age 60, you can still receive survivors benefits based on your former spouse’s record. However, if your new spouse is also collecting Social Security benefits and you would receive a higher amount based on the new spouse’s work record, you will receive the higher amount.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 71 and not in receipt of social security benefits. This is a state pension and my husband died 20 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
still waiting for a reply to my further comment.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Here is the advice from Age UK:

'Your State Pension You are allowed to use your ex-partner’s National Insurance record for your basic state pension if it means you’d receive a higher pension as a result. However, if you remarry or register a new civil partnership before you reach State Pension age, you lose this right. Widows, widowers and surviving civil partners can also inherit some or all of their late partner’s additional pension or graduated retirement benefit, but lose this right if they remarry or register a new civil partnership before State Pension age.'

As you are over the State Pension Age your entitlements would appear to remain intact. I do hope that I have assisted you with my answer although my colleague effectively told you the same thing in her response..

bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.