Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am self-employed, sole trader - contractor who have two

Hi, I am self-employed, sole trader - contractor who have two sub-contractors, i fill in subcontractors monthly return every month and declare about tax withheld by me (20%) Also I am subcontractor who suffers CIS , but did not declare this through RTI. Question
: do I need to do everything on RTI or put all info on my self assessment, which I want to fill in now?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question
Unless you are a limited company (which you are not) - then you cannot claim the CIS tax you have suffered through RTI but must declare this on your self assessment tax return.
Let me know of I can be of any further assistance with this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So i have to put my sufferings in SA and HMRC will work out the difference?

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
No - you will pay over the appropriate CIS suffered on your subcontractors along with any tax and National Insurance (for any employees) each month - as per the CIS and PAYE RTI monthly returns.
Then, the CIS YOU have suffered, is taken into account at the year end when you declare your income and expenses (which will also include the monies paid to the subcontractors gross) on your annual self assessment tax return and you also declare the CIS YOU have suffered from the contractor who engaged you to undertake the job, then the CIS YOU have suffered then is offset against YOUR tax and National Insurance due as a sole trader. (which maybe what you were stating!)