TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

How to offset cis payments against sufferings

hi, how to offset cis payments against sufferings for sole trader?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Are you trying to complete a self-assessment tax return?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, i was subcontracting and contracting during last year

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me how you paid over the CIS tax you deducted from sub-contractors who worked for you to HMRC. Do you have a PAYE/CIS scheme?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i haven't paid anything to hmrc. yes i have PAYE scheme, I had to register for it in order to be registered as a contractor

PS. i don't have any employees so i don't run RTI

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

If you have a PAYE scheme, you don't offset the CIS tax you deducted from people you paid against the CIS tax deducted from you unless you run your business through a limited company. You disclose the payments you made to sub-contractors and the CIS tax you deducted from them in monthly CIS 300 returns that you submit to HMRC. Read about that here.

The total of the pre CIS tax payments you made to your sub-contractors goes into box 18 on page SEF2 of the SA103 pages here. The total of the CIS tax you suffered personally should be put into box 81 on page SEF4 of the full SA103 pages here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am filling in on line version , can you direct me which box to fill in there .

So it means that all deductions I make from my sub contractors through the year I have to pay to HMRC straight away?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Which form are you completing online? If it's your personal tax return, then you go to the self-employment section and click on the "Tax deducted" option. That's where you put the CIS deductions you have suffered.

The CIS tax you deduct from your sub-contractors has to be paid over monthly or quarterly as it says here.