bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am 70 years old and still working 37.5 hrs per week. Up

Customer Question

Hi I am 70 years old and still working 37.5 hrs per week. Up to 2008 I was self employed
Since August 2008 I have worked paying PAYE.My problem is I owe the tax office 10000.00 from my Self employment,but I am paying a direct debit on a monthly basis to pay it off .
Recently I have received a new tax code for this year and have been told that they have increased my code no to get back £2800.00 this year.Are the tax office right to take from two places to claim tax.A further point in the back of my mind this 2800.00 which they are chasing is in there words unpayed PAYE,but at no time in the last 7 years have I worked without paying tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Recovery of up to 3K is permitted through the tax code and relatively common although your tax code will actually have been reduced rather than increased. I would be inclined to write to the HMRC office who issued the coding requesting what PAYE was unpaid. I suspect some operative in the tax office has got hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all! You should point out that you are already clearing the arrears from self employment monthly as agreed with HMRC and accepted. In the end, of course, it will all come out in the wash as it were, but I do appreciate that the the approach is annoying, not to mention having a negative affect on your personal cash flow.
You are down to letter writing, sorry. Don't try telephone contact, it is a hiding to nothing. I never advise dealing with HMRC verbally. In writing you always have a hard copy of what was said or discussed.
I do hope I have shown you a way forward in this inconvenient situation.
Thank you for your support.