taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have just set up a company selling wholesale wool.

Hello i have just set up a company selling wholesale wool. We have yet to begin trading but have registered as a limited company. We have just also sent off our application for VAT registration.
I want to know the process of claiming back the VAT on the things we have bought to get the business started. Office Space, Computers, Printers, Desks, Chairs, Phones etc etc etc. We are yet to launch our website and begin taking orders and making some cash. How does the whole process of claiming back our VAT work. We have all the receipts. How long is the process is it done at the end of the year? Is it done Quarterly? Or Can it be done instantly
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You say you have bought goods prior to commencement of trading and VAT registration.

Provided the expenditure is all business related, VAT is reclaimable and there is a time limit for backdating claims for VAT paid before registration, namely:

- 4 years for goods
- 6 months for services

You should reclaim VAT input when you file your first VAT return.

More information on the process is covered here under Purchases made before registration
https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration/purchases-made-before-registration

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If i get my VAT number in the next two weeks how long after that can i do my first VAT Return?

Goran, thank you for your prompt reply.

As you get your VAT registration, HMRC VAT Office would advise you of your VAT quarter ends.

If you wish to make changes to VAT returns dates then you would have to request that by completing Form VAT484 (Section 3) - Notifying us of changes to a VAT registered business

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/372676/vat484.pdf

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes