TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Good Morning. I'm full time employed as a van driver. In October

Good Morning. I'm full time employed as a van driver. In October 2013 I passed my test for cat C driving licence, in January 2014 I passed ted for cat C+E licence and also drivers CPC.. I've paid nearly GBP4000 for the whole couse. Am I allowed to claim any tax refund for it as this was to improve my skills, sort of education expenses..many thanks
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

I'm afraid not. As an employee, you can only make a claim for tax relief for expenses incurred "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" in the performance of your duties for your employer. Had your employer contracted with the course provider and paid for it direct, they would have got tax relief and you would not have been assessed on a benefit.

I'm sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Basically if I want to improve my skills there is no help at all..I need to pay for each course myself..shame:( many thanks

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Short of your employer providing your courses, that's correct, I'm afraid.