bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

If a retired person is house bound and requires carers four

Customer Question

If a retired person is house bound and requires carers four times a day, which is
costing just under £800 every four weeks, is it possible to offset this cost against
income tax paid on pensions received.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question. The news I bring will I fear not be to your liking.
Cost for care is not allowable against personal Income Tax to which sister's pensions are liable. Her local council may assist towards these and the Money Advice Service gives a very full resume of the matter here:
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/local-authority-funding-for-care-costs-do-you-qualify
However local councils are all short of money these days and if your sister does not fall within an eligible category they are unlikely to assist and have no legal duty so to do. You will see from their summary that even getting help will be a long drawn out process. As her local council have refused to assist someone may need to review the grounds upon which the decision has been made on case they are in error.
I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Thank you for your support.