TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I'm self employed but I've paid people through my UTR how

Hi I'm self employed but I've paid people through my UTR how do I put this on my self assessment so that it doesn't look like its my earnings
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me what you do for a living and what the people you paid did for you please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm an electrician, the people who work for me carried out some work on a solar farm for a week and as I haven't set up a business I put it through my UTR. The issue I have is I need to complete my SA for 2014-2015 but the money's I have paid to these people at the moment looks as if it's my earnings, which pushes my earnings to £56k and means my rebate after expenses isn't what it should be.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Were you paid for this particular job through the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)? Did you get invoices from those you had working for you or thier names and addreses? Did you pay them in cash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I was paid through my UTR cis scheme, and tax was stopped at source. I have there names addresses and there UTR numbers. Payment was made through BACS.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer. It will take a while.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi again.

The total of the gross (pre tax deduction) payments to sub-contractors in the construction industry should be put into box 18 of the SA103F self-employment pages here.

If you deducted tax from your sub-contractors earnings, you should have set up a CIS scheme of your own to account for any tax deductions. Read about that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.