taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have got a question concerning my tax return year

I have got a question concerning my tax return for the year 2014-2015. I have been resident in the UK for the last 10 year, but left the UK in January this year to live abroad. I have retired and I do not have any income fro the UK. I know that I have to fill in a tax return for the year 2014-15 and I cannot claim split year treatment because I still have a property in the UK. My question is: Shall I claim to be not resident in the UK for that year? if yes, what do I answer to the following questions?:
Were you resident in the UK for 2013-14? Yes.
Did you meet the third automatic overseas test: I do now (since 6 April 2015), but not before. What do I answer here?
Did you have a home overseas in 2014-15? Yes
How many ties to the UK did you have in 2014-15? Since 6 April 2015 I have 2, but many before.
How many days have you spent in the UK?Until January 2015 all the time but since that date none. What do I answer there?
A Frang
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Form SA109 deals with residence status

Based on information given by you
You would appear to be resident in the UK for tax year 2014-15

[q]
[a]
No

[q]
[a]
state number of days in the UK (from 6 Apr 2014 to date of departure)

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I'll come back to you later, if I have another question.

A Frang

Thank you for your reply.
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.