TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I received an email about a tax rebate but found it almost

Customer Question

I received an email about a tax rebate but found it almost impossible to read and when I tried to click on a link in order to have the money transferred to my bank account, the link did not work. Not sure whether this is a problem created by my computer. Do I need to do anything or will the credit be made automatically by the end of July?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

You need to be very careful about emails purporting to be about tax rebates. If you are being asked for your bank details, then I can be pretty sure that this is a scam and you should certainly not give your bank details. I've seen these sent to my clients in the last year or two and they do look genuine but sometimes the language is a little off. I'd be happy to look at the email if you can upload it to me.

HMRC would normally send a taxpayer who is entitled to a tax repayment a P800 tax calculation before the repayment is made. They do not ask for bank details by email. Take a look here for more information on bogus emails.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think that I must be entitled to a tax rebate but have no idea how much this should be or how I can access it.

NI Number: WL 12 54 03 B

Steve Austin

12 Great Park Drive, Leyland, Lancashire PR25 3UP

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for accepting my answer.

Call the tax office on the number here and ask them to calculate your tax position for each of the last four tax years to 2014/15 and to issue a P800 tax calculation to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried the number many times over the past few weeks and always found it impossible to get through. I will try again.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
The best time to get through is at 8am on a weekday or on Saturday morning at 8am.