bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

As an employer how do I change my employees tax code from the

Customer Question

As an employer how do I change my employees tax code from the ones used in 14/15 to the one to be used in tax year 15/16?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question. Your question floored me for a minute. I ran a large manual payroll section years ago and this problem never came up.
In a word, you don't! You have to wait for HMRC to send you the new code for 15/16. Here is what HMRC have to say on the subject:
'When we send a new tax code for any of your employees, you will receive:
• a paper form P9(T), ‘Notice to employer of employee’s tax code’, or
• an Electronic Data Interchange notice of coding, or
• an internet notification of coding if you are registered to use our PAYE Online – Internet service'
So what you actually do is [same source]:
'Carry forward the authorised tax code from the 2014 to 2015 payroll record to the 2015 to 2016 payroll record.
Authorised codes include BR, D0, D1 and NT. But if you have received a 2014 to 2015 tax code on a form P6 too late to use in 2014 to 2015 carry forward this code instead.'
Alternatively, if the 14/15 code was a 'L' suffix code, you add 60 to the 14/15 tax code and operate that.
I do hope that I have shown you a way forward with your payroll problem. It is not unknown for HMRC to issue a P2 to an employee and fail to send a P6 to the employer and vice versa. If your employee has a P2 for 15/16 you may use that code, but only on a Month or Week 1 basis.
Thank you for your support.