bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am part of a shared freehold on 3 neighbouring properties.

Customer Question

I am part of a shared freehold on 3 neighbouring properties. The 3 of us have a Dormant Company. I am selling my property and have had a new lease granted. The premium on this lease is £45,300. The income will be split between the 3 of us. Will there be any tax payable either corporation or capital gains?
Also, will we have to cease as a Dormant Company for a year as we will have to declare this as income?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
For how long is this lease?
Who owns these properties, individuals of the company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

999 years.

The owner of each of the 3 properties has a share in the freehold. There are 2 flats and 1 detached house on the land.

We formed the dormant company for this in 2000.

Thanks for your help

Length of the lease, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The new lease to be granted is 999 years. The other 2 properties have leases for above 900 years.

Tax Insider says:
'For leases of more than 50 years, the premium is treated as a payment for a disposal of part of the property, giving rise to a capital gain in the hands of the landlord.'
A 999 year lease (or even a 900 year one for that matter) is effectively selling the property so all the premium would be a capital gain. However, companies are not subject to the Capital Gains Tax regime, all such gains merely forming part of the company's trading account. Under current rates the Corporation tax would be of the order of GBP 45.3K @ 20% = say 9K of Corporation Tax due. Thus there will be some 12K available to each of you which will have to be distributed by the company in some way which will in itself incur more tax in individuals' hands, presumably Income Tax.
I do hope I have shed some light on the position. A classic example of Benjamin Franklin's dictum that in life there are but two certainties, death and taxes!
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The house sale is due to go through very soon. I have been asked when the corporation tax should be paid ie whether it should be withheld at the point of sale.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
By whom, I am tempted to ask? Corporation Tax is payable by the company after the end of the accounting period as normal.